What is ‘safeguarding’ and why is it important to us?
Safeguarding means protecting children and adults at risk from harm, abuse and neglect.
The safety and well-being of adults and children who come into contact with the services Trafford CCG funds is of the utmost importance.
Health services have a duty to safeguard all patients and to provide additional measures for patients who are less able to protect themselves from harm, abuse and neglect.
How do we safeguard in Trafford?
Health and social care organisations across Trafford are working together to improve our understanding of abuse and ways to prevent it.
Trafford CCG helps to safeguard by:
- putting safeguarding at the forefront of service planning
- ensuring executive level CCG membership of both Trafford Safeguarding Children and Adult Boards and senior CCG membership of the Safeguarding Board Subgroups
- working in partnership with the Local Authorities to make sure the integrated services we fund meet the needs of the local population, including specialist services for vulnerable groups
- having a designated nurse and doctor in post to offer professional expertise and advice around safeguarding children and Looked After Children matters
- having a designated professional in post to offer professional expertise and advice around adult safeguarding matters
- ensuring that safeguarding children and adult policies and associated strategies are in place within the CCG and for the services we fund
- holding the providers of services to account by regular review of safeguarding arrangements
Organisations in Trafford have worked together to develop The Trafford Multi-Agency Safeguarding Procedures and Guidance for Adults and Children, these can be found on the following websites:
- Trafford Safeguarding Children’s Board website – includes Safeguarding Children’s Procedures and Safeguarding Children’s Training
- Adult Safeguarding Policies and Procedures
- Trafford Adult Safeguarding referrals
Who to contact in Trafford?
Please click here to view and download a list of key contact details for Safeguarding in Trafford.
- If you have concerns that a child is being abused or is at risk of abuse or neglect, please call Trafford’s Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Team (MARAT) team on: 0161 912 5125. If you are a health professional and require further information please click here.
- If you have concerns that an adult is being abused or is at risk of abuse or neglect, please click through to Trafford Council’s website to view the various contact options or complete a referral form. To contact the Trafford CCG Safeguarding Adults Designated Lead, Jacqueline Coulton, please click here.
- Emergency Services – 999 – should always be contacted if anyone (an adult or child) is at immediate risk or in immediate danger
- Out of Hours please contact the Emergency Duty Team on: 0161 912 2020 or email: EDT@trafford.gov.uk