How do I submit a complaint?

We will try to sort out any problems quickly and (where possible) to your satisfaction.

Where a complaint cannot be promptly resolved, we will agree an investigation and timescale with you and keep you informed of progress.

Telephone: 0161 873 9634

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone can make a complaint if they are personally affected by a decision made by Trafford CCG. If you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else you will need their consent before a response can be provided.

Is there a timescale for making a complaint?

You should try to raise any concerns as soon as you can; however a complaint should be made within 12 months of the care or treatment concerned or of when you became aware that you had cause to complain.

There may occasions when complaining in this timescale is not possible. If there is a good reason for the complaint not being made in the time limits and we are still able to look into the issues raised, then it may be possible to investigate you complaint and we will let you know.

Can I get help with making a complaint?

The Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) is an independent organisation who can provide advice, information and support if you have a complaint about NHS health services.

ICA is independent of the NHS and provides a free and confidential service. You can contact ICA by telephoning 0808 801 0390.

How does Trafford CCG deal with complaints?

  • All complaints should be acknowledged (either verbally or in writing) within three working days of the day after our receipt of your complaints.
  • You will be contacted by a member of staff in the customer care and experience team.
  • If we can’t sort out your concerns quickly we will discuss your complaint in more detail with you.
  • We will explain the options for the handling of your complaint, how it will be responded to and how long this will take.
  • We will ask you what you would like to see happen to resolve your complaint.
  • An investigating officer will be appointed to look into your complaint and we will keep you updated about its progress.
  • We will also discuss any potential changes such as longer time-scales required to investigate your concerns and any further information needed etc.
  • By the end of the investigation we hope to answer all your questions, address your concerns satisfactorily and make any necessary improvements to services where appropriate.

What if I have questions, concerns or a complaint about a GP, dentist, pharmacist, optometrist, community health services such as district nursing, health visiting, podiatry, continence, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, and community dentists or other provider of national health services?

Many concerns can be resolved quickly, by talking to the staff immediately involved at the time.

If this is not possible you should ask to speak to the practice manager/supervisor who is usually the person responsible for handling complaints.

All GP practices, dentists, pharmacies and opticians (sometimes described as independent contractors) and providers of community health services have their own complaints process. The complaints procedure is the same for all providers of NHS services.

What if my complaint involves more than one NHS or social care organisation?

To make the process as easy as possible for you, one organisation involved in your complaint will usually take the lead in investigating the complaint and will ask the other bodies involved to look into the issues relating to them.

This means you can receive one response covering all aspects of your complaint rather than separate responses from each organisation. This approach will be discussed and agreed with you during the initial contact stage.

You can say if you would like separate responses to each of the issues you raise from each of the organisations involved if you would prefer this.

What if I am not satisfied with the response?

While we will do all we can to provide a satisfactory response, you may still feel your concerns have not been fully addressed. If this is the case we will be happy to discuss your outstanding concerns further.

If you feel your concerns have not been fully addressed you can seek a review by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (the Ombudsman).

When the Healthcare Commission was replaced with the Care Quality Commission on 31 March, 2009, the Ombudsman became responsible for the second tier of health related complaints. This means that you can contact the Ombudsman if your complaint is not resolved within Trafford’s NHS services.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Ombudsman does not have to investigate every complaint and she will not usually take on a complaint that has not been through the NHS complaints procedure, or a case that has been dealt with by the courts. She may also request that your complaint is looked at again locally to see if more could be done to achieve a satisfactory outcome.

The Ombudsman may decide that she wishes to carry out an independent review of your complaint.

The Ombudsman will either conclude that we have acted correctly and have fully responded to your complaint or she might recommend that we take some further specific action. Whatever she decides, you will be informed by her office.

How do I contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman?

The Ombudsman can be contacted at:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Complaints helpline tel: 0345 015 4033


You can also visit the website by clicking here.

Download the ‘complaints, concerns, comments and compliments’ leaflet here.