Patient Advice and Liaison Service

*Please note: Trafford General Hospital and Altrincham Hospital are operated by Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (CMFT) and are therefore covered by CMFT’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service.

Their telephone number is 0161 276 8686 and you can visit their website by clicking here.

How can I contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service?

Telephone: 0161 873 9577

If you use a text phone, you can access the text relay service by dialling 18001 then 0161 873 9577.

We are here during office hours, though we may be busy helping other people. If no-one is available to take your call please leave a message on our answer phone and we will ring you back. We aim to return all messages, where possible, within two working days.

Patient Experience Matters 
1st Floor, Crossgate House
Cross Street
M33 7FT
E-mail us:

What is the Patient Advice and Liaison Service?

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service is a confidential information and advice service for patients, relatives and carers.

The Patient Experience Matters team at NHS Trafford CCG and the Patient Advice and Liaison Service can give information, advice and help to local people about NHS services.

What services does the Patient Advice and Liaison Service cover?

They are here to help you, particularly with any difficulties you may have with services provided by us.

Is the Patient Advice and Liaison Service a national service?

All NHS Trusts in England have their own  Patient Advice and Liaison Service. This includes hospitals, ambulance services, primary care organisations and community service providers.

How can the Patient Advice and Liaison Service help you?

We recognise that whether you are a patient, a relative, a carer, a friend of a patient or any other member of the public, you may have questions or concerns about Trafford CCG’s services. For example, a local resident may contact us if they:

  • Want to compliment someone about the care they have received.
  • Need some information about NHS services but do not know where to get it.
  • Have concerns but do not necessarily want to complain.
  • Want to complain but are not sure how to do this.
  • Want help to sort out a problem quickly.
  • Would just like to speak to someone about their concerns but are not sure who to speak to.
  • Would like to tell Trafford CCG what they think about the services that are currently being delivered, be it positive or negative.
  • Want to know about resources for independent advice or advocacy organisations if you want independent assistance with your concerns.
  • Want to provide feedback and make comments so that we can learn from your experience.
  • Offer advice on the complaints process and provide information on who to contact for practical help to make a complaint.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service can help patients and their families deal with particular concerns by liaising with health care staff, managers and others to resolve problems and provide prompt solutions.

We are here to help you if you need information or advice about local health services. We can also provide practical help if you experience any problems whilst using our services. We will strive to help you resolve your problems or answer your concerns as quickly as possible.

Can you contact them about something that happened in at a different provider organisation such as a general practice, dentist, pharmacy optician, hospital or via a community health service provider?

Yes you can but it is usually best to contact the provider direct. We can pass the information you give us on to them (with your permission). There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service at Trafford General Hospital which covers Trafford General and Altrincham Hospital  (for most of the services they provide) and the telephone number is 0161 276 8686. You can visit their website by clicking here.

For Trafford community services such as district nursing, health visiting, podiatry, continence, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, and community dentists, the contact number is 0161 975 4753.

For general practices, dentists, pharmacies and opticians we would suggest speaking with the practice manager or equivalent person to discuss any queries or concerns.

Is it a confidential service?

All information provided to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service is confidential. We will only contact other people in order to resolve the issues you raise with your permission or to refer you query, comment or suggestion to another organisation.

Information relating to your concerns will be held on a database, which will only be accessed by Trafford CCG Customer Care department staff. This information will be used to monitor the type and number of concerns received to help improve our services. All information contained within monitoring reports is anonymous.

Only in exceptional cases where your safety or that of others must be considered will we have to pass on information.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service does not provide

  • Advocacy and counselling
  • Medical help or advice – they are not medical teams

What if  the Patient Advice and Liaison Service can’t answer my questions?

We will always try to provide you with the information you need or refer you on to someone who can help (with your permission). If we don’t know the answer, we will find someone who does, for example, other support agencies, self-help groups, and voluntary groups.

How do I get help out of hours?

Outside of office hours and during weekends and public holidays you can leave a message on the Patient Advice and Liaison Service confidential answer phone. We aim to give an initial reply to messages left during these times within the next available two working days.

If  the Patient Advice and Liaison Service doesn’t solve the problem, what next?

Using the service doesn’t prevent you having other options. If the Patient Advice and Liaison Service cannot resolve the situation to your satisfaction, you can still use the NHS complaints process and we will explain how to do this and provide you with contact details for the agency that can support you.

How do I make a complaint?

If you are unhappy about any health service you can make a complaint. The NHS has a procedure it follows to deal with complaints and make sure patients receive full answers to the issues they raise. More information on NHS Trafford CCG’s Complaints Procedure can be accessed via the complaints page.